Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Visit to my Classroom

My classroom came together after weeks of working on it.  After reading many wonderful blogs (see blog roll in sidebar and blog buttons at the bottom), I am lucky that I have had so much time to work on it.  School started on August 15 but I won't be working with students in my room until September, so I hope they like it.  We have a school-wide theme:  Cultivating a Community of Success.  Farming is dear to the heart of our community since we are a rural school.

There is not much on the walls because they will be filled with student work and charts as the year progresses.

Math bulletin board:
I plan to put student examples of problems worked.  One tree is devoted to addition and one tree to subtraction.  The apples on the trees have vocabulary that correlate to addition and subtraction.


 (addition)

 (Subtraction)

Classroom Library:
More of a teacher resource library.  Tubs divided in book correlations for:  Nonfiction Craft Lessons and Craft Lessons by Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi plus Strategies That Work by Stephanie Harvery.  There are also just tubs of picture books for the students to peruse.


 Dr. Seuss quote

Writing Bulletin Board:
Glare makes it hard to see:  Your writing will BLOOM with the Writing Process.
There will be pieces of writing that will go in the sheet protectors.


Standards/Objectives:
Used my Cricut to cut out letters and then glued them to a sentence strip which was laminated.  In my new job I will only teach these three subjects.
  

Supply Crates:
Each bucket has markers, crayons, yellow highlighters, and black dry erase markers.  Underneath I am going to place the white boards.
To make sure that the buckets stay with their corresponding desks, I labeled a set of four/five desks with the same picture I put on the supply bucket, like the tractor you see here.  All the pictures are farm related.
 


Picture Books:
These picture books are used by the Kindergarten teachers to teach reading strategies.



Math Manipulatives:
Snap cubes, base 10, money, dice, shapes, money, etc. 

View from the entrance to the room.
I have my desks in two groups.  You can also see my carpet area where mini-lessons will be taught.  I have a chart stand and a SMART Board. 




View from the white board:
The tables covered in green table clothes are used for weekly teacher meetings.  The containers on the tables have highlighters and pens for teacher use.
Behind the teacher tables is my kidney table that I will use for small group work.  I have built-in cabinets behind the table that I store extra supplies and things needed for small group.
The door to the let of my small group table is the closet that I share with the classroom next door.  The door to the right (barely in the picture) is my bathroom door.


Hope that you enjoyed the tour of my classroom.  I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's rooms come together!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have never worked with younger students before so I hope it works. I love the design of your blog. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks great! I love your blog! So glad I found you!

    Thanks for linking up. Hop on over to see other bloggers classroom pictures!

    Empowering Little Learners!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Let's start a conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...