Thursday, December 3, 2015

December Lesson Plan Inspiration

Looking for some inspiration to spice up your December lesson plans?  You are in the correct place!  Pinterest is one of my favorite places to save ideas for later; however, my boards can become overwhelming at times because I have saved so many pins.


Today I am sharing three pins that I hope will engage your students and put a little pep in your lessons (and day).


Even though it doesn't always snow in Arkansas in December, I can't help but think of building snowmen.  Since I probably won't be building snowmen, creating snowmen through art is the next best thing.




The First Grade Parade shared a great idea on using one of my favorite picture books Snowmen at Night.

http://www.amazon.com/Snowmen-at-Night-Caralyn-Buehner/dp/0803725507

What I like about her activity is that it incorporates art and literacy and is adaptable across many grade levels.  The writing length and detail required for this activity could be adjusted based on what grade you taught.  If you are in first grade, it could be a couple of sentences.  If you are in fourth grade, it could multiple paragraphs.


Rudy and the Dodo shared a simple Christmas tree craft idea that sparked many ideas on how it could help my students practice what they are learning.


Fifth grade is working on adding and subtracting decimals.  Seeing this Christmas tree, I thought this would be a great opportunity for my students to measure and practice adding/subtracting decimals.  Students would be given a total (example:  42.25) and a minimum (4) number of strips of paper to use to create a Christmas tree image.  Students would record the length of each strip used and show how they counted down to make sure they didn't go over the total given.

Third grade is working on learning their multiplication facts.  I would write multiplication facts on each strip of paper (without the product).  The base of each tree would have a product.  I would give each student a base.  Their job would be to match the multiplication facts with the product on their base.  Then they could arrange the strips of paper any fashion that they liked.


The Applicious Teacher shared a hands-on activity to build students inquiry skills in science through use of mystery bags.



Scientists use observation and inference throughout their careers, so this is a skill that we need to develop in students.  A simple way to introduce this skill is through the mystery bag.  You can theme these bags around any holiday or event.

You could also incorporate mystery bags into literacy.  I just found a great, new Santa book with a ninja theme - Samurai Santa:  A Very Ninja Christmas.  The mystery bags would be a great way to introduce the book.  I would fill the bags with objects that dealt with ninjas and Christmas.  Students would make inferences on what the two had in common.  Then we would read the book.


Looking for more great pins for December?  Check out the links below!

6 comments:

  1. I keep thinking of all of these thematic days while I'm looking through the posts! A snowman day would be so much fun! I love those snowman art and writing projects! Those Christmas trees are so adorable! Thank you so much for sharing your great Pins and linking up with us!
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Snowmen at night and that snowman art project would be perfect! I'm not looking forward to snow but we don't usually get too much here in Kentucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very cool Christmas tree. I like the simplicity, too!
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made similar scrap pieces of paper trees last year in my kindergarten class. It was great for talking about links and comparison. Plus they turned out adorable!
    Kayla
    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the paper trees....so simple yet adorable! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the twist on the Christmas tree.. I definitely need to try that!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Let's start a conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...