Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Power of Six Words




In January, our Book of the Month strategy was 6 Word Stories.  I was first introduced to 6 Word Stories when I found this video from SMITHmag (does have a few memoirs that are adult-oriented) on VIMEO.  If you want to show a video to a class, here is one geared towards teenagers:  Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure.  Then I later found our book of the month on Chets Creek Elementary Wiki (in Florida, USA) and they used 6 Word Stories as their strategy (January 2010) that month also.

The assignment I gave to the teachers had them create a six word story about themselves, which I then incorporated into a video using Animoto, which is a great tool I learned about in the Kick Start Your Blogging Teacher Challenge Activity 6.  Secondly, teachers were to have students create stories/memoirs.  In the younger grades, they had the option to give students a picture and then create a story from that picture.  Stories are not due until the end of this week (Feb. 11).  Then I am going to create another video that features the student work.  Kindergarten and first grade already have their work posted in the hallway and it is fabulous.  I have seen fourth and fifth graders working on the picture that they want to put with their memoirs.  I observed a class of seventh graders creating their memoirs...WOW! is all I can say.  I will post student video soon.


5 comments:

  1. Jana
    This is a really interesting post. So when you speak of the children writing their memoirs, you are talking about a six word memoir as the teachers have so fabulously done. I would love to use this idea.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn
    Thank you! The students are creating their own memoirs in only six words. It has been an interesting process. I can't wait to share what they have created. I am in the process of taking pictures right now. I also found it amazing what I learned about the teachers I work with from their memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree the teachers did some fantastic work. I will be keeping an eye out for the childrens. I am going to get my class to have a go. I think I might wait until we have yours as a model. Great job.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, I love this post. I hope it's OK if we can do it too! You've probably heard of the six-word novel attributed to Hemingway in the one-man play Papa: For sale. Baby Shoes. Never worn. Your teachers did a beautiful job—touching and beautifully illustrated. They must be a special staff to work with. Awesome!

    Best wishes,
    Denise
    My blog: http://mrsdkrebs.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise
    I used Hemingway's six word story as introduction before we watched Smith Magazine's video. I do work with the best staff ever! I hope you post your six word creations. I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Let's start a conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...