Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Value of a Hug

The school day has drawn to a close.  The bus rider bell just rang.  Students are making their way down the hall toward the bus door.  The sixth and seventh graders come to a stop to let the first and second graders pass by first.  You can see the impatience on their faces as the little ones walk by as fast as their little legs will carry them without running.  Finally, the last little one walks by and the older students can continue their journey toward freedom.  The last student in line (the last one every day) takes her time as she walks by.  Then she stops and I get a hug that brings a smile to my face. 

Every day J asks for a hug.  It doesn't have to be at the end of the day and it could be more than once a day.  She has a wonderful personality that craves attention.  I don't know much about her home life, but I do know that she makes each day I get a hug brighter.  I can't help but smile when she meets me in the hallway.  Most days she asks to come home with me.  I wish I could take her home.  I want her to know that she loved and valued.  But all I can do is hug her back and hope that she knows I am proud of her and want her to succeed.

What's the value of a hug?  Priceless!

Image: 'hug'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49503036400@N01/4429040702

2 comments:

  1. A hug speaks a thousand words. I'm sure that J knows she is valued and loved by you. Hugs from my kidlets at school are the highlight of my day. It's an unspoken way to say thank you, you're appreciated, and sometimes...you mean the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I miss about teaching junior high are the hugs I used to receive from several girls and the high fives from the boys. High school kids aren't always as open about needing affection. You have to find different ways. But, isn't it funny that the hugger gets as much out of it as the huggee?

    Great slice...
    http://deb-day.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Let's start a conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...